Ladybank was previously known as “The Ladybog” or “Our Lady’s Bog” and was where the monks of Lindores came to cut peat.
Originally it was part of the parish of Collessie, but with arrival of the railway, the town expanded from a few cottages at Monk’s Moss and a new parish was created. The name became Ladybank in accordance with Victorian sensibilities.
Originally the Church of Scotland was the Kerr Memorial Church in Church Lane and the present building was St. Mary’s United Free Church.
After the Union of 1929 Ladybank therefore had two parish churches. In the late 1940s it was decided to close the Kerr Memorial building making the old UF Church the parish church. All that remains of the Kerr Memorial is a dated stone in the grounds of the current building.
Ladybank was united with Collessie under the name “Collessie and Ladybank” by the then Presbytery of Cupar on January 7th 1968 under the ministry of Rev. A Philp.
At present the sanctuary is closed waiting development after an outbreak of dry rot, but the hall is in regular use. Following a decision of the Kirk Session to redevelop this building the name was changed to Howe of Fife Parish Centre (Ladybank). This plan has been shelved recently (2018) and we await further developments after consultation with the General Trustees.